Saturday 14 February 2015

Response from Neil Griffiths


Hello everyone,

I hope you're all enjoying your half-term holiday. The week before last the children all had a go at creating a piece  of writing based on the book Fatou, Fetch the Water by Neil Griffiths. We sent these pieces of work off to Neil and he has been kind enough to write back to the children. His response was shared with the children yesterday but here it is below! 


Dear children!
What a lovely surprise today when I opened my email to find your lovely 
work!
I have printed them off and they are on my pin board by my desk!
I am so glad you have been enjoying my book about Fatou.
The story is set in The Gambia and this is a country I love and visit every 
year.
I have helped set up and now fund 4 schools there.
I am going to show the children in the schools your work!
They are not as lucky as you are, as they sometimes have to share one pencil 
between 3 children and only get one exercise book a term!
We are about to send out 5,000 books by ship, so soon they will have lots 
more!
Many of the children in the village are called Fatou as it is the most 
popular girl's name and sometimes girls as young as 6 have to pull up heavy 
buckets of water from the wells.
We are very pleased that water pipes are soon coming to the village and they 
will then have outside taps to pour the water from.
Thanks you so much for writing to me and keep on reading!
Best wishes,
Neil


Reception team

3 comments:

  1. Have just seen this blog and so thought it deserved a reply. How wonderful that the children had this opportunity to write and receive a reply back from Mr Griffiths and such an informative response. It just shows how fortunate our children are with school resources but hopefully with the right support pales like The Gambia will have more than one pencil between three children. Maybe we could send some? Apologies for the late response. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're hoping to receive some photographs of the children's work in the Gambia too! I know that as a school we have also sent over lots of books for children there to enjoy!

      Delete
    2. We're hoping to receive some photographs of the children's work in the Gambia too! I know that as a school we have also sent over lots of books for children there to enjoy!

      Delete